Sunday, October 26, 2008

THE LIVING, THE DEAD AND THOSE WHO PROCEED TO SEA


WHAT IS THE DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE LIVING, THE DEAD AND THOSE WHO PROCEED TO SEA?

YES, THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE FIRST TWO ARE CLEAR. ONE IS BREATHING AND KICKING, WHILST THE OTHER IS WITHOUT A HEARTBEAT. In ancient time, when there were poor communications, sea voyages could take several years. There was no knowing for sure whether those who went to sea were living or dead.

Although I have now taken a shore job as a Nautical and Marine Surveyor at Marine Port Authority Office, my love for the sea will always remain. Despite all negative connotations of a career at sea, I stand proud in declaring myself a SEAMAN.

SAILING can be fun and individual enriching. Far from being boring, it has taught me a great deal about mingling with people of different nationalities, races, religions, customs & cultures, languages, life style and habitual. I would not trade the fond memories I have gathered over the years for a king’s ransom. Seaman’s stories are extraordinary and put fisherman’s tales to shame. The closeness to nature and serenity of sunsets at sea can never be captured by an artist on canvas. A mariner is a diplomat in a way. Not only does he get first-hand experience of foreign cultures, but the way he conducts himself leaves an impression on others.

Most people have the notion that on a ship, one is cramped and movement is restricted. On the contrary, when ashore I get the feeling of being boxed in but at sea, I feel a sense of freedom, I am able to free my mind of all worldly thoughts and feel an indescribable peace within my soul.

No comments: